social media links

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Space Saver Chair Cover and KCW Day 2

Today I'm finally sharing a project I've been excited about for over a year.  Like many families with young children right now we have one of these:


To be fair this is the original cover this Space Saver Chair came with and the fabric is actually pretty cute.  But there is no padding to the cover at all and after a few washings the back fabric (not sure what it is, but it feels like interfacing) started getting some tears.  And honestly, what baby is clean enough when they eat that it would be reasonable to only have one cover for their high chair?

original cover front and back
So I decided to take matters into my own hands and a year ago I made a reversible chair cover for Bean. 


I used quilting cotton for one side and a fleece fabric for the other. 


Since the fleece gave a little padding, I didn't put any batting in between the layers.  The great thing about the cover being reversible is that if one side is moderately dirty it can be flipped to the other before having to put the whole cover in the wash.  This new cover alternating use with the original cover meant I didn't have to wash it CONSTANTLY.  Not to mention worrying about the cover being cleaned and dried in time for the next meal.

So what does this have to do with 2013, hehe?  Well, when I made the chair cover I also made a pattern.  And then a year went by and I never shared it.  Boo.

Then JoAnn Fabrics contacted me and asked if I wanted to review their new HGTV HOME line of home decor fabrics and I jumped at the chance.  I'm a big fan of home decor weight fabric and was excited to see their new prints.


I loved the bold colors immediately when they arrived (and even instagramed them) and my first thought was to make a cool poof for Bean to sit on. 


Then I took a look at the enclosed inspiration project and it was instructions for making a bean bag chair.  Now, do you think I could just do the project suggested?  No way, hehe.  I had to think of something else.


And that's when I remembered the Space Saver Chair Cover.  We have recently been doing a lot of renovation in our kitchen so the idea of a spruced up high chair was exciting.  It would also be the perfect excuse to get that pattern I had made, dust it off, and turn it into a pdf to share.  So I dove right in.

I'll have the pattern and a quick tutorial available next week so stay tuned for that.  For now I'll share a few pics of the reversible cover once assembled.


This Flower Tower print is so great for the Space Saver shape.  I was so excited when cutting it out.


But it's this side, the Groove Move (hehe that name cracks me up) side that I am IN LOVE WITH.


And here it is on the seat.  I bound the edges with a black quilting cotton I had in my stash.  It goes well with both fabrics so it works perfectly to border the two sides.


I really am so pleased with these two fabrics.  Even with a low loft batting in between the layers it was no problem sewing the cover together.  It's 100% cotton and has a sort of linen feel to it.  I think the left overs will make a lovely purse too, hehe.


Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores also sent me a coupon for you guys to use.  The home dec fabrics (including these new HGTV HOME fabrics) are on sale right now and this coupon is good even on the sale price!  It expires May 4th so there's still plenty of time to use it. 

KCWC

And finally, a quick update on KCW day 2! 


I shared on Instagram that I finished the hand sewing portion of Bean's birthday dress while catching up on some Project Runway.  I also have all the pieces of her spring coat cut out and ready to be sewn together.  Hopefully day three will see more of the coat come together.  Day two was a short nap day so there isn't much progress to report!

Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores sent me the fabric for this review and coupon for my readers, but I was otherwise not compensated for this post.  All opinions are mine.

As usual, linking up to:
I Heart Nap Time The Chicken Chick Sew Chatty  photo blogbutton_zpsb1fa0f6d.jpg Happy Hour Projects Photobucket

3 comments :

  1. THose chair covers use just the right amount of that fabric so it's not overwhelming. I really can't decide which side I like better but I think I'm leaning to the onion/peacock feather side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The high chair cover looks great! Almost makes me wish we still had one so I could recover it. Almost!lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea.........looks beautiful and easy clean up. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and always try to respond to them when they come in, but please be sure your account includes an email address so I can reply. Thanks!!