social media links

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Signature Look

I'm back and set for the final week of Project Run & Play.  We were asked to make a signature look.  I wasn't sure at first if this was something I was interested in, but I decided I was up for the challenge. 

Basically, I didn't complete the look I was making for the special occasion week but I was really excited about finishing it.  A lot of work had already gone into it so I was planning to finish anyway.  Then they announced that there would be one last look and it was to be our signature look.  I realized that all the effort I put in to the dress I was making was bringing out something that really represented my style.  A few tweaks to the original design and I'm so pleased with how it turned out. 

Unfortunately, the pictures don't really do it justice.  The colors are much brighter in person.  I had been eyeing bishop dresses and thought it'd be a fun dress to make for bean.  I didn't get a pattern and really had no idea what I was doing, but I stumbled my way through.  I'll write a post about the basic construction of a bishop dress soon.  The top of the dress is hand smocked using a lattice smocking style.  This was also something I had never done, but I loved the look.  I thought it would make for such an interesting neckline.  It took FOREVER to get it all hand stitched, but I love how it turned out. 

I'll show you some pictures of the smocking, but don't be shocked...  When I changed up the dress to make it a signature look, I dyed the fabric this lovely apple green color.  I wanted to dye everything in my life that color when it came out.  I love it!  Anyway, the originally fabric was this bright turquoise blue that was pretty, but not exactly my style.  Anyone that knows me, knows I have a mild obsession with green and pink and green, hehe.

So this is what the smocking looked like once I was a quarter of the way through.  I had done one back section and a sleeve.  Man this took FOREVER.

Back to the green pics...

I love to add either embroidery or crochet so I crocheted a crown picot along the neckline.  This is the first single crochet row.

And this is the finished neckline.  The picot is in sets of three that make it look like little crowns.

Well, I'll leave you with some pics of Bean in the Bean Bishop dress.  I will post more about the construction this weekend. 

This is her newest naughty thing to do, hehe

1 comment :

I love comments and always try to respond to them when they come in, but please be sure your account includes an email address so I can reply. Thanks!!