Then the Mini Penny Pinafore entered my life and I thought maybe it would work to use the lawn for just the center portion of the dress. Also if I made it a shirt length then I'd have more then enough to work with (or maybe squeeze out two shirts).
Now the pattern instructions are clear that this is a pattern meant for knits and I totally agree. There needs to be stretch in the neckline and around the outside sleeve/armscye seams. However, my only worry with using the woven for just the center pieces was that the neckline wouldn't have enough stretch. The opening looked large enough, but you know how big kids' heads are so I crossed my fingers and sewed away.
And it totally worked. The neckline has just enough stretch with the small amount of ribbing I used for the collar that it goes on without a hitch. I think the lawn being somewhat on a bias at the neckline (or some of it is as you go along the neckline) may also help with the stretch a bit.
And the rest of the 3T top fits perfectly. Bean had worn the shirt all day (and two other times before that) so there are some wrinkles in these pics, but trust me, the fit is just right. The pants she's wearing are the Hosh jeans I made here. Again, they were worn all day so there may also be some wrinkles (or mud) on them, hehe.
I am so excited about the possibilities with the addition of a woven center panel for this pattern. This was one of the February Monthly MashUp patterns so we already have lots of neckline options, but this adds so much more. Bean being comfortable in her clothes is so important to me and there's something sweet about the idea of the knit fabric sort of hugging her in at the side panels.
|because I know my sister will ask... I have no idea what she is doing in this pic, hehe|