social media links

Monday, January 28, 2013

Kitty Chevron Stripes

(yes, I realize chevron technically are stripes all on their own, hehe)

I wanted to make Bean a Varsity Cowl Neck Pullover similar to the Mixed Knits one I did for a friend for boy's week.  I'm not a huge fan of excess.  Normally I stick to simple patterns paired with some solids.  I have no problem using bright colors, but as far as patterned fabric goes it's usually something pretty subdued.

Then I had a little girl who LOVES kitties.  I saw this kitty print and knew she'd fall for it.  Anything that my family has bought her that has an animal on it is sure to get a smile from her.  And then she needs to run over to the mirrored door on her armoire, stick out her toddler belly, rub said belly, and say "oooh." 


I bought the fabric earlier in the fall and didn't want it to just go into the pajama fabric pile, but I also couldn't figure out what I would make that would have that. many. kitties. on it.

Then I was mixing fabrics over the weekend to pair some ribs and plain knits to make a few pullovers for Valentine's day for friends and I saw these two fabrics together.


Totally crazy.  But perfect for a little girl.  I knew there would be enough of crazy color and kitty to keep her at the mirror for days hehe.  Plus, she's obsessed with the letter 'M' lately and I knew she'd think the chevron was a bunch of 'M's.  She's 20 months.  Every zigzag is an 'M' hehe.


So I sewed strips of the two fabrics together the same way I did for the Mixed Knits pullover.  Three inch strips for the body and two inch strips for the arms. 


Since the colors were already over the top, I figured a nice teal light-weight rib would be perfect to tie the madness together. 


She was so excited to see the kitties in the mirror. (I made those pants too, but they are getting WAY too small/high water)


Here she is doing some of her favorite things. Reading and pretending to write with pointed objects. And since I don't give her pointed objects she uses torn pieces of paper. And every pine needle she can find brought in by our shoes from the yard. 


This is a terrible picture, but it shows the front a little better.  Doesn't it look cozy?


It's a little big, but it's more light-weight that the Mixed Knits one so I know she'll be able to wear it this spring. 


If I decide to let the madness out of the house, hehe.

**Update: Yay this was featured on the USS Crafty!


And on Shaffer Sisters!

Shaffer Sisters encourage. inspire. uplift. create.

As usual, linking up to:

I Heart Nap Time The Chicken Chick Photobucket Happy Hour Projects Photobucket

5 comments :

  1. So Cute!!! I love the kitty fabric! I'm pinning this!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party
    http://usscrafty.blogspot.com/2013/01/submarine-sunday-16.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com



    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! Those fabrics look great together. My youngest was also obsessed with cats at that age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are just enough cats. A whole pull over of cats would have been too much. I love the picture of her so studiously reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute! I would love to have you join me on The Creative HomeAcre Hop today!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop.html

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and always try to respond to them when they come in, but please be sure your account includes an email address so I can reply. Thanks!!